Tuesday 10 March 2015

A decision to #StartANewLife

There are some traits in Bengalis which you just can’t miss - their passion for education, interest in cultural activities and being a foodie. Being one myself I don’t miss a single trait from the ones listed. Bengalis give a lot of respect to education – for any respectable Bengali family knowing where your son or daughter is studying and what is he studying means a lot. Same was the case with me. Physics, chemistry, mathematics – the subjects which are not favoured by a lot of people were very dear to me. Being a science student is a prestigious thing.

My dad has been a gold medalist engineering student from one of the most prestigious colleges in Kolkata. It has been an inspiration for me through out. I wanted to follow in his footsteps too. And I was pretty sure I would have done well.

But things are always not that rosy. It was also a time when there was a huge slowdown for all engineering students. Engineering colleges were mushrooming up across the country but there was a big lack of good faculties. But the aftermath was even scarier – no jobs. I have seen engineers’ applying for job posts with as meager a salary as of three thousand a month!! That is not a situation I wanted to be in – nor would anyone.

It was a time I had to decide my future. Which stream would I choose? And there I was, leaving the dream of studying science and taking up commerce instead. Believe me it wasn’t an easy decision. It meant focusing on numbers and figures and no experimentation – which originally I wanted to. But I had to choose a path which will secure my future.

It also meant I had wake up and start college at 6 in the morning! Those who are aware, St. Xavier’s B Com department functioned early in the morning earlier. Now they have an evening dept. too, I have heard. But that was a boon in a way because we had the entire day free. When some guys proffered to take up sports I took up courses for Chartered Accountancy. I had enough time in the day to go for my CA classes and the eventual articleship.

It finally helped me to clear all the CA papers at one go without losing a year. It was practically graduating and becoming a CA at the same time. It also opened up opportunities to take up lucrative job in one of the most prestigious auditing firm which brought me to this beautiful city of Bangalore.

Sometimes I do feel that I missed out on studying science, but mine was not just a decision that I had taken – it was a practical decision. The situation of majority of engineering students in the country has not changed much ever since. At least I secured my future.

It is just right sometimes to deviate from your path and #StartANewLife


This post is part of #StartANewLife campaign by https://housing.com/.




No comments:

Post a Comment